Copyright 2016 © Charles W. Jones
. Powered by Blogger.
All content cannot be distributed, copied or reproduced without express written permission from the author.

#MenageMonday Challenge – Week 43

| 1 Comment



I got a strange feeling when my parka filled with air. It wasn’t a good feeling either. We reverently scanned the cemetery. I heard the almost inaudible pop and froze. Lucky me, I found another trigger. It wasn’t the first time I’ve found one of those in there; I felt the others turn their eyes on me. We had no idea how long the booby-traps had been there or if they were still active. I had a choice to make.

“Everyone back away,” I yelled behind me. “This plot is too dangerous.”

I heard their murmurs and whispers rise then quiet behind me. I assumed they were away as I no longer heard their breath or the muffled tramping of their boots. It was now or never. I lifted my foot slowly, expecting a great explosion but there wasn’t one. I smiled—another dud.

I faced my men, who had not retreated from the cemetery as I had ordered. Their parkas flapped gently in the breeze that ended the silence. My men stood still like statues. I approached one. His flesh was now marble and his eyes no longer saw me. The others were the same.

Read all the entries at Defiantly Literate.
Tags : ,
Click Me
Layout Options
Current Layout
Full slideshow Layout